Holiday time is finally upon us and I am sure all of you are getting ready (or maybe already in a getaway?) for your sweet escape! It will be fun wandering around in a new atmosphere and scenery or enjoying the sand and the sun. But.. What to pack? I always find holiday is a perfect time to take beautiful outfit pictures (and the gorgeous backdrop behind you ofcourse) without people staring at you wondering why there such people who are so vain.. Hence, here I will try my very best to present you THE LIST of what to bring for a vacation somewhere warm.. Considering it is summer time.. Most of the places will have lovely sunny weather all around. I also choose five days to create the list cause I don't want it to be too short or too long. If you're going away for three days, just reduce the amount. If it's for two weeks, get double of each item from the list.
First thing first. Before packing, you need to know your itinierary. You don't have to know every single detail, but just make sure you know where you are going that day. If you are going to the beach, you don't want to wear your favorite flats who can easily scratched with too much sand. And if the friends are planning for a nice night in a fancy lounge, you don't want to wear your shredded jeans shorts! I'm just saying, it doesn't hurt to memorize your itinierary. Also, make sure you check the weather on your destination. Maybe it is summer, but when I went to Seoul, the summer there is hot AND rain a lot. What happened if you don't bring an umbrella?
- minimal make ups (your trusty powder/foundation; I use MAC cause it has SPF in it; brow pencil; blush on, colored lip gloss; I use one from Body Shop cause of the vitamins; eyeliner (optional); I have terribly small eyes so when I don't use eyeliner I look reaallyy sleepy; leave your falsies eyelashes, eyeshadows, and mascara at home. Those three items take too much time to use in the morning)
- 1 set of sleepingwear (make sure it's warm cause lots of hotels go crazy with air con)
- 5 set of undergarments ( I usually bring 4 bras and 10 undies, all in neutral colors which is black, white, or nude)
- 3 tanktops (either it's black or white for your sheer tops)
- 1 skin color opaque thights (I'll explain later on)
- 3 nice tops (this tops should relatively not easy to wrinkle and can work from day to night)
- 1 daydress (preferably with fun prints or solid but bright color)
- 2 white or black plain tee
- 1 black cardigan
- 1 denim jacket or 1 black/brown leather jacket
- 1 jeans (black/navy is a good choice. avoid jeans that are too tight)
- 1 jeans shorts - 1 cute summery skirt
- 1 comfortable flats
- 1 sandals/flip flops in black/other solid color. Colorful flip flops are too beachy and hardly can be use for a nice cafe/lounge
- 1 medium size bag in either black or brown so it can be easily mix and match
- 1 swimsuit ( bring more if you'll spend more time on the beach)
- 1 wide brimmed hat in white/brown, avoid black cause it might make you look like a witch and steer away from any other bright colors cause you want to be able to wear it with any of your swimsuit (optional since it's a pain to bring around such a big hat that you can't tuck in to your bag cause it will be ruined)
- 1 foldable small umbrella
- 1 camera (you can go practical with your IPhone or you can bring DSLR like me, which is not practical at all but create such BEAUTIFUL images)
- 1 light scarf in solid color for extra layer inside the plane or as a coverup when you're on the beach
Now that I am done with the list, here are what I will bring if I go somewhere warm.
You are most likely spend your entire day in a plane/train/bus and those vehicles are most likely cold with no air circulation. My goal is to stay warm and comfy without looking like I'm wearing a pyjama. The trick is to keep everything basic (the jeans and the white tee) and add a trendy outer. In my case, I am particularly love my Zara oversized sweater cause it's super comfy while the leopard prints are so on trend these days. The plus point, I can use that sweater for sleeping if the hotel is too cold!
Day one is usually low key cause everybody is still recovering from the tiring trip to the destination. This outfit is perfect for visiting museums or little traditional shops. The pretty bright pleated skirt is so summery and anything with bright colors will look nice on the camera. For night time, you can easily put on your cardigan for extra warmth.
Day two is perfect for a day full-energy-activities either it be a beach or a theme park cause you all had enough rest. As you can witness, see-through tops are perfect for a cover up on the beach!
It's the best time of the whole vacation. You start to get the hang of things (either its MRT or subway or even just spotting a taxi stand) and you really want to explore. It's the perfect day to search those local cafes and local boutiques and even that latest hip lounge which might require getting lost a little bit. Make sure to wear your trusty flats. And forget your brand-new-super-adorable ballet flats. Because they are new and they are most likely to give you blisters on the very first day you wear them.
Okay, galaxy prints are so last year but you have to admit, it looks REALLY good in pictures. Those beautiful blend of colors make this top my go-to item when I don't feel like dressing up but still want to look catchy. Day four usually the day when I look for souvenirs for my family and friends. You want to be armed and ready to go on that bargain-war so throw on your cool denim jacket (or leather jacket works too!)
It's the last day! Time to be the perfect tourist. Go to all those cheesy tourist spots and take all that cheesy tourist-y pics. A statue or a building, you want to be camera ready. Prints are captured beautifully on camera which is why I encourage you to wear bright colors/prints when you are taking plenty pics that day. For in-flight, you can put on your denim jacket (and that solid color scarf!) for warmth. Now you understand the use of the nude opaque thights! It also adds extra warmth on your trip home..
LAST TIPS :
- Drink plenty of water a day prior to the trip to help with the dehydration, and it helps with jet-lag too!
- Make sure to put in your passport and tickets inside your bag the day before
- If your vacation destination is to shop (like I did when I went to Bangkok) pack verryyy lightly
- So far, rolling my outfit has been the best solution. It takes less space and its relatively wrinkle-free
- Shoes must be packed separately or it'll takes too much space
- Skin care items and toiletries (shampoo, etc) must be stored on the bottom of the suitcase cause its the heaviest and if you put it on top, it might ruin your shoes/bras
-Shoes should be rolled in a tee shirt/other items to keep it from being flatten
- Put your undergarments last cause you can easily slip them in
-Don't worry about forgetting a toothbrush or a sunblock, chances are, you will be in a city where a convinience store will be within reach
- Do worry about items you can't easily buy, such as a charger or your personal medicines
Thank you for reading. I hope this might be some kind of useful..
PS. My sister and I just launched our own online store! Open for all Indonesians.. Go to http://facebook.com/strangershelo and do click that like button! :)
Also, follow my instagram with the username of steviatepi